Austin, Willard, Luther, Louis, Herman, Myron, John, Florance, Edwin, Louisa, Agnes, Karl, Athene Nuffer
Another entry from “We of Johann Christoph Nuffer, also known as: Neuffer, Nufer, Neufer,” The book was published in April 1990 by Dabco Printing and Binding Co in Roy, Utah. I will quote from the book itself.
The full title reads, “LIFE HISTORY OF LOUISA ZOLLINGER sketch written by JENNIE S. NUFFER early details furnished by MARY Z. BULLOCK and EDWIN J. NUFFER Written November, 20, 1952”
“Louisa Zollinger was born 24 January 1864, at Providence, Utah, the daughter of Ferdinand Zollinger and Louisa Meyer. She was the eldest of five children, her brothers and sisters being Ferdinand (born 24 January 1866), Bertha (born 3 August 1867), Mary Elizabeth (born 3 March 1870), and Sarah (born 26 July 1875). Two children died in infancy.
“Living in a pioneer community, Louisa was subjected to all the hardships and trials of her day. She has related many incidents concerning Indians in the early days of Providence. She received her education in the district school, having gone through the 8th reader.
“Louisa loved to sew, and before she was fifteen she took a dressmaking course from a lady by the name of Maggie Hyrion. She learned to cut patterns to fit them to a model.
“She was a very spirited and independent girl, and being the eldest she enjoyed telling her brother and sisters what to do. She did what she could to help with making a living. When she was fifteen she worked for a time in the Blanchard Hotel in Logan. One summer she spent working at the Box Elder dairy at two dollars per week. She helped milk eighteen to twenty cows. The next summer she worked at a Logan dairy where she helped with the milking and cheese making.
“Louisa was quite popular with the young people and attended the dances in the community. One dress she used to wear is still remembered by her sister Mary. A seamstress came to the home and remained one week to sew the dress, which was of black wool trimmed with heavy black satin. The young crowd also enjoyed house parties, candy pulls, and sleight (sic) riding parties.
“September 18, 1884, she was married to .John Nuffer at Providence, Utah, and they were sealed in the Logan Temple 15 July 1891. They then moved to Glendale, Idaho, where her husband had homesteaded and built a small rock house. Here she made a home for her beautiful flowers. Snakes were very numerous, and she often told how she would send the dog into the garden first to flush out the snakes before she went into pick vegetables.
“She returned to her mother’s home at Providence for the birth of her first son, Luther Jacob. Her next two sons, John Willard and Louis Ferdinand, were born at Glendale.
“In the fall of 1890 the family moved to Preston, where her husband had been called by the Church to take charge and superintend the building of the Oneida Stake Academy. They rented a home on State Street for about one year until John could get a home built for them, which was a four room frame house. Two more sons were born here, Herman Christopher and Austin Eckertt.
“In the spring of 1895 her husband was called by the Church to go on a mission to Germany, his native land. Although Louisa had five small sons and was expecting another child, she encouraged him to fulfill the call. A few months after her husband’s departure, her sixth son, Karl Aaron, was born. Louisa accepted her responsibilities gladly and cared for her little family. They did not suffer for the necessities of life, as her husband had left her provided for, and they had two cows to provided (sic) them with milk. She was also able to knit and sew for herself and children.
“Following her husband’s return her first daughter, Agnes Louisa, was born. Shortly thereafter John built a larger house of rock for his family. Myron David, Florence Myrtle, Edwin Joseph, and Athene Barbara were born in this home. Louisa also raised her grandson Karl Luther, following the death of his mother [Luther’s son].
“Two more lovely homes were built for her by her husband, one a red brick and the other a cement block, where she lived until her death.
“Louisa was very active in the Relief Society, and served as a visiting teacher for many years. She was very outspoken in defending the things she believed in. She encouraged her children to seek a higher education. Seen have attended college, two have fulfilled missions, one son has served as a bishop of his ward, and all her children have gladly accepted positions in the various auxiliaries of the church.
“She taught her children industry and thrift. She was generous in giving to the poor, and at the same time gave encouragement to all to better their lot. She was a good cook and neat housekeeper, and her love of sewing was evidenced in the living clothes she made for herself and children.
“The first great sorrow in her life was the death of her son, Karl Aaron on 7 February 1905, at the age of ten years. Herman Christopher died 23 August 1940, and Austin Eckertt 2 March 1944.
“During the latter part of her life her health was very poor, but with a strong will and determination she carried on her household duties. Her last illness (cancer) was very painful, and she spent several weeks at the L.D.S. Hospital in Salt Lake City, and the Preston Memorial Hospital in Preston. She was released to her home few days before her death on Thursday, 25 October 1945. Besides her husband she was survived by eight of her children, all whom were at her bedside, also 30 grandchildren, and 22 great grandchildren.
“Beautiful and impressive funeral services were held the following Monday at 2 o’clock in the Preston First Ward Chapel. Burial was in the Preston Cemetery on 29 October 1945.
“THE ZOLLINGER NAME
“Zollo was an old Teutonic name appearing in documents of the 9th century. The story goes that the Zollingers operating a ferry across the Rhine River near the Lake Constance and charged a toll. From this trade or occupation came the name Zoll, meaning toll collectors. They were not the only ones engaged in this profession, for the Romans, prior to this time, had officials appointed to supervise river traffic and collect tolls.
“Farmers by trade, the Zollingers called their settlements Zollinc-hoven, meaning the farms of the Zolling clan. In that day Zollic-hoven was the name of two different places, Zollikon and Zollikofen. The present cities, Zollikon near Zurich and Zollikofen near Bern are ample evidences of the settlements and estates once occupied by the Zollingers centuries ago.
“In a manuscript appearing in the periodical of the Swiss Genealogical Society “Der Schweizer Sammler und Familienforscher” in 1935, page 57-58 and 84-85, is an essay with the title “Uber Namesforschung: Der name Zollinger”. Its author, Gustav Zollinger, Dr. Dentist and member of the Swiss Genealogical Society brings to light in a very comprehensive way, the history and movements of our people in their many places and occupations, from which has evolved the name Zollinger in its many variable spellings. His work is well documented with sources from court, land, census, death, parish, and tithing records.